Your museum needs YOU!
Support our redevelopment and expansion project
The Framework Knitters Museum has recently embarked on an exciting project that will more than double our existing display space when it comes to fruition. As you may be aware, we’ve recently purchased Gunn Cottage on Chapel Street, a property that sits in between our existing main site and the Chapel.
Our long term aim is to redevelop both Gunn Cottage and our existing museum site to create a much larger space where we can offer our visitors and other users a greatly enhanced experience and much improved services.
Help us build a better future
The total cost of achieving our ideas and aspirations for the Framework Knitters Museum is £750,000. We’ve already raised around £150,000 of this sum – but we need your help to raise the remaining £600,000!
When complete, our redevelopment and expansion project will bring so many benefits to our visitors, staff and other users. Here are just a few:
- Create a link between the main site and the chapel, so visitors won’t have to be escorted to the chapel
- Better display our extensive textile collections and make new acquisitions, enhancing our visitor experience
- Fully showcase the remarkable stories of the framework knitters, to help our visitors understand how they lived and worked on our site
- Create new exhibition spaces to better meet the needs of our educational audiences
- Provide more space for volunteers who’d like to carry out research on our behalf, and for local people wanting to research their family history
- Expand and improve our tea room and the Textile Emporium to provide better visitor facilities, support local craftspeople and potentially create job opportunities
- Meet the needs of new audiences and young people
- Provide higher quality meeting spaces for local groups and clubs.
Get involved today!
There are lots of ways you can get involved and help support our fundraising activities. These include:
- Making a donation online, or in person by visiting the museum. Please make sure you complete a Gift Aid Declaration 2016 if you’re a UK taxpayer (not needed for online donations), as this will boost your donation by 25p for every £1.
- Raising FREE donations by shopping online through Give as You Live (more info here).
- Buying our 2016 calendar – all profits go straight to the appeal.
- Supporting one of our fundraising events.
- Organising a fundraising event and activity for us, e.g. a coffee morning.
- Taking on a fundraising challenge, e.g. a sponsored walk or swim.
- Volunteering to help us out at events, or get involved with our fundraising activities ‘behind the scenes’.
You can also spread the word about our Redevelopment and Expansion appeal by downloading and sharing our Fundraising Leaflet with family, friends and other contacts.
Could you leave us a legacy?
By leaving us a gift in your will, you can can help us to protect our heritage and keep preserving the craft of framework knitting for future generations to enjoy. It’s a fantastic way to perpetuate your connection with us and make a truly long-lasting impact on our activities.
For more information about leaving us a legacy, please download our Leaving a Legacy leaflet and accompanying Confidential Pledge Form. You’re also very welcome to contact the museum if you’d like to discuss your gift, and how you’d like it to be used, in more detail.
Find out more
Please contact the museum if you’d like more information about our redevelopment and expansion project or would like to get involved in our fundraising activities.